Agenda, decisions and draft minutes

Venue: Caddsdown Business Support Centre - Bideford. View directions

Contact: Sandra Cawsey  Email: dem.services@torridge.gov.uk

Items
No. Item

282.

Apologies for Absence

To receive apologies for absence from the meeting.

Minutes:

Apologies for absence were received from Councillors P Christie and S Newton.

283.

Minutes of the Community & Resources Committee meeting held on 24 October 2022 pdf icon PDF 142 KB

Minutes:

Matters Arising

 

Minute 275 – In response to a query asking if The Plough needed to stay on forward plan following the grant of external funding. The Chief Executive explained the reasons why The Plough was on the forward plan and that a report would be brought back to Committee to consider their business plan.

 

Councillor Bright advised if TDC stopped their support then it might jeopardise future grant applications. It was agreed to leave The Plough on the forward plan.

 

Minute 279 – The Chair asked if there was any progress on a staff telephone directory. The Senior Electoral & Democratic Services Officer advised he would chase with IT.  

 

It was proposed by Councillor K James, seconded by Councillor R Lock                    and -

 

Resolved:   That the Minutes of the meeting held on 24 October 2022 be signed as a correct record.

 

(Vote:  For - 8, Against – 0, Abstention - 1)

 

 

284.

Action List pdf icon PDF 193 KB

Minutes:

The Action List was discussed and updated.

285.

Public Contributions

Public contributions in accordance with the current scheme.  (The deadline for registering to speak is by 2pm Thursday 1 December 2022. To register please email dem.services@torridge.gov.uk).

 

Minutes:

Councillor Philip Cloke of Great Torrington Town Council introduced himself and advised he was currently the Chair of the Planning Committee for the Town Council. He spoke on item 9 of the agenda – New Development off South Street Car Park, Torrington.

 

Concern was expressed to the name of Market Gardens advising the location was not near a market nor any gardens. It would distract from and confuse people from visiting the actual garden and the newly revived and vibrant market. The Town Council suggested a royal aspect be included in the naming of the new development as a fitting and lasting remembrance to the late Queen Elizabeth II.

 

 

286.

Forward Plan pdf icon PDF 199 KB

Minutes:

The Forward Plan was noted. 

 

287.

Declarations of Interest

Members with interests to declare should refer to the Agenda item and describe the nature of their interest when the item is being considered.

Minutes:

Declarations of interest were made when the specific agenda items to which they related were under discussion.

288.

Agreement of Agenda between Parts I and II

Minutes:

The Chair advised, following a request from Councillor Ford, item 16 – Restaurant Proposal at Appledore Fishdock - would move up the agenda to be the first one presented.

 

It was proposed by Councillor R Lock, seconded by Councillor K James and –

 

Resolved:    That the Agenda as circulated be agreed.

 

(Vote: For – unanimous)

 

 

289.

Urgent Matters of information to be brought forward with the permission of the Chair and the Committee

Minutes:

There were no urgent matters brought forward.

290.

Restaurant proposal at Appledore Fishdock pdf icon PDF 217 KB

To receive the report of the Head of Communities & Place

Additional documents:

Decision:

Resolved:


That the proposal in the report be agreed in principle and allow a planning application to be submitted.

Minutes:

The Estates Manager presented the report, the purpose of which was to consider the conversion of the upstairs (1st) floor of Building A, currently a net loft and adjacent storage area, into a seafood restaurant.

 

Following a query, the Estates Manager advised if the recommendation in the report be approved, and Planning agreed then discussion would need to be had regarding the tenancy. It was envisaged that the lease would be granted on the whole site, however, if strong objections were received this could be negotiated.

 

Councillor Ford, Ward Member of Appledore addressed the Committee and expressed his concerns for this project. He acknowledged that the site needed improving however did not welcome a restaurant as he felt Appledore did not need further competition when businesses are struggling as it is. Further concerns included Environmental impact, lack of Councillor involvement, legal issues, sub-letting and nearby hostel accommodation. He urged Members of the Committee to visit the site.

 

It was queried to Councillor Ford the number of boats currently operating from Appledore. Councillor Ford advised 6, however, it was confirmed that presently only one full time boat was in operation. 

 

Councillor Bushby left the meeting at 10.30am.

 

Two Members of the Committee confirmed they had visited the site.

 

In response to Councillor Ford’s concerns, the Head of Communities and Place advised the following:

 

·         Members had not yet been consulted as the plan was still in its infancy. A presentation had taken place at Property & Major Projects Working Group to work the scheme to its current level. Councillor Hicks had been consulted as Lead Member only;

·         Environmental impact would take place during the planning process;

·         No hostel accommodation was yet established, however, Hubbastone Road cottages had just received planning consent to be converted for hostel accommodation.

 

In response to a query, the Head of Communities & Place advised of the current landings at Appledore and believed the applicant bought fish from other markets which were transported by road.

 

Councillor Ford left the meeting at 10.35am and the discussion continued.

 

Members voiced their comments for the venture highlighting the pros and cons. Particular concern was expressed regarding the other leases on site.

 

It was proposed by Councillor K James, seconded by Councillor D Brenton and -

 

Resolved:


That the proposal in the report be agreed in principle and allow a planning application to be submitted.

 

(Vote: For – unanimous)

291.

New Development off South Street Car Park, Torrington pdf icon PDF 608 KB

To receive the report of the Head of Communities & Place

Additional documents:

Decision:

Resolved:

 

That the name ‘Market Gardens’ be adopted and approved.

Minutes:

The Head of Communities & Place presented the report, the purpose of which was to request that the committee assign a name to the new street under construction off South Street Car Park, Torrington.

 

Councillor C Bright declared a personal interest – dual hatted – Great Torrington Town Council.

 

A brief discussion took place where the Head of Communities & Place explained the reasons why this had been referred to TDC to decide.

 

It was proposed by Councillor K James, seconded by Councillor N Laws that the name Market Gardens be approved.

 

It was proposed by Councillor R Lock, seconded by Councillor D Brenton that the name have a Royal aspect.

 

A vote was taken on Councillor K James’ proposal – For: 5

 

A vote was taken on Councillor R Lock’s proposal – For: 3

 

Resolved:

 

That the name ‘Market Gardens’ be adopted and approved.

292.

TDC Carbon Footprint pdf icon PDF 815 KB

To receive the report of the Head of Legal & Governance (Monitoring Officer)

Minutes:

The Climate & Sustainability Officer presented the report, the purpose of which was to inform the group of the outcome of the Council’s carbon footprint review for 2021/2022 and to advise that the report provides a basis for understanding and discussion for Members on the way forward.

 

A discussion took place with queries addressed as follows.

 

Concern was expressed on the compromise between the financial aspects and/or implications and tackling the actual issue. The Climate & Sustainability Officer advised that if Central Government were serious about meeting Net Zero by 2050 then they would have to help financially. It was advised funding is always being investigated by herself and both the Estates Team and Waste & Recycling Manager.

 

It was advised that partnership work was carried out with Devon County Council and that there was a meeting scheduled tomorrow to find out about more funding. A lot of funding for the public was done through Energy 361.

 

Suggestion was made for an insulation type scheme to be implemented.

 

Work that the Councillor Climate Change Working Group had carried out was advised.

 

Comments were made that the report was good, however tackling Climate Change issues was a constant battle.

 

Reassurance was given that the Waste & Recycling Manager was always looking for ways to improve his Carbon Footprint. Free consultancy support had been secured from the Energy Savings Trust to look at TDC’s fleet and how the transport can be decarbonised, particularly in the waste and recycling vehicles. Renewable energy would be investigated for the new Environment Centre.

 

The report was noted.

 

 

 

    

293.

Energy Survey Reports Summary pdf icon PDF 493 KB

To receive the report of the Head of Legal & Governance (Monitoring Officer)

Decision:

Resolved:

 

That the potential energy efficiency measures be noted and it be approved that the measures are reviewed and incorporated into the Council’s Asset Management Plan and developed within the Action Delivery Plan which will look at individual properties and their future use.

Minutes:

The Climate & Sustainability Officer presented the report, the purpose of which was to inform Members of the measures available to reduce energy use in TDC properties.

 

It was confirmed that the note on page 60, reference savings, was now out of date but was correct at the time of the surveys being carried out.

 

It was proposed by Councillor C Hodson, seconded by Councillor D Brenton and -  

 

Resolved:

 

That the potential energy efficiency measures be noted, and it be approved that the measures are reviewed and incorporated into the Council’s Asset Management Plan and developed within the Action Delivery Plan which will look at individual properties and their future use.

 

(Vote: For – 8, Against – 1, Abstentions - 0)

294.

Homelessness Duty to Accommodate/Support

To receive a verbal report from the Head of Legal & Governance Monitoring Officer

Minutes:

The Head of Legal and Governance (Monitoring Officer) presented this item.

 

Prior to the commencement of the meeting a flowchart detailing the homeless approach taken by the Housing Options Team was distributed to the Members in the room.

 

The Head of Legal and Governance (Monitoring Officer) explained the flowchart in detail.

 

The chart included information on:

·         local connections

·         prevention duty

·         procedure for someone already homeless

·         priority need

·         main housing duty

·         temporary accommodation

·         intentionally homeless

 

The update was noted by Members.

295.

Delegated Market Approval pdf icon PDF 114 KB

To receive the report of the Head of Communities & Place

Decision:

Resolved:

 

That authority be delegated to the Chief Executive to assess and permit independent markets within 6 miles of the Bideford Pannier Market for a period of 3 years and with consultation of Ward Members.

Minutes:

The Head of Communities & Place presented the report, the purpose of which was to seek approval for an extension to the agreed power of delegated market approval to the Chief Executive.

 

It was highlighted that in paragraph four in the introduction of the report, it should read April 2023 not April 2022.

 

A brief discussion took place where it was suggested that the recommendations in the report should include a time limit and for Ward Members to consulted.

 

Advice was given on areas that already have permission to operate markets along with the current procedure that is in place for permitting markets. 

 

It was proposed by Councillor K James, seconded by Councillor N Laws and -

 

Resolved:

 

That authority be delegated to the Chief Executive to assess and permit independent markets within 6 miles of the Bideford Pannier Market for a period of 3 years and with consultation of Ward Members.

 

(Vote: For – unanimous)

296.

Leasehold disposal of part of the Sports Ground, Kingsley Rd, Bideford pdf icon PDF 206 KB

To receive the report of the Head of Communities & Place

Additional documents:

Decision:

Resolved:


That the proposal for the leasehold disposal of the Sports Ground, Kingsley Road as detailed in the report be approved and authority given for the issue of a draft lease and the application for FIT consent and, as and when FIT consent is given, the completion of the lease be approved.  

Minutes:

The Estates Manager presented the report, the purpose of which was to consider a new leasehold interest of 25 years of the Sports Ground, Kingsley Road, Bideford to Bideford AFC to replace the existing licence.

 

It was proposed by Councillor B Hicks, seconded by Councillor R Lock and –

 

Resolved:


That the proposal for the leasehold disposal of the Sports Ground, Kingsley Road as detailed in the report be approved and authority given for the issue of a draft lease and the application for FIT consent and, as and when FIT consent is given, the completion of the lease be approved. 

 

(Vote: For – unanimous)

297.

Burrough Farm public open space/ fence around the football pitch pdf icon PDF 126 KB

To receive the report of the Head of Communities & Place

Additional documents:

Decision:

Resolved:

 

That the recommendations as written in the report be approved.

Minutes:

The Head of Communities & Place presented the report, the purpose of which was to advise Members of the erection of a fence and lockable gate around the football pitch at Burrough Farm, Northam and the presence of a restrictive covenant, held by the Council, to protect the land as public open space.

 

A brief discussion took place.

 

It was confirmed that the fence stands at 3 metres tall and planning was not required as it was allowed under permitted development.

 

The pitch is used regularly by various football teams.

 

Councillor Bushby returned to the meeting at 11.56am but did not take part in the vote for this item.

 

It was proposed by Councillor B Hicks, seconded Councillor A Dart and –

 

Resolved:

 

That the recommendations as written in the report be approved.

 

(Vote: For – unanimous)

298.

Exclusion of the Public

The Chair to move:

 

That the public be excluded from the remainder of the meeting because of the likely disclosure of exempt information by virtue of paragraph 3 of Part I and paragraph 10 of Part 2 of Schedule 12A of the Local Government Act 1972.

Minutes:

It was proposed by Councillor K James, seconded by Councillor C Hodson and –

 

Resolved:

 

That under Section 100(a)(4) of the Local Government Act (as amended) the public be excluded from the meeting for the following items of business because of the likely disclosure of exempt information by virtue of Paragraph 3 of Part 1 and Paragraph 10 of Part 2 of Schedule 12A of the Local Government Act 1972.

 

(Vote:  For - unanimous)

 

 

299.

PART II (CLOSED SESSION)

300.

Restaurant proposal at Appledore Fishdock

To receive confidential documents

Minutes:

The Head of Communities & Place advised, as a decision had been made in Part I no further discussion was required on this item.

301.

Disposal of TDC Land/Asset

To receive the report of the Head of Communities & Place

Decision:

Resolved:

 

That the recommendations in the report be agreed.

Minutes:

The Head of Communities & Place presented the report, the purpose of which was to consider the disposal of a TDC asset.

 

In response to a query the Estates Manager advised the commercial market had not increased as much as the residential market.

 

It was proposed by Councillor K James, seconded by Councillor R Lock and -

 

Resolved:

 

That the recommendations in the report be agreed.

 

(Vote: For- unanimous)

 

 

 

LOCAL GOVERNMENT ACT 1972 (AS AMENDED)

 

It was proposed by Councillor K James, seconded by Councillor N Laws and –

 

Resolved: That the press and public be readmitted.

 

(Vote: For – unanimous)