Agenda, decisions and draft minutes

Venue: Caddsdown Business Support Centre - Bideford. View directions

Contact: Sandra Cawsey  Email:

No. Item


Apologies for Absence

To receive apologies for absence from the meeting.


Apologies for absence were received from Councillors C Bright, A Dart and

R Lock.


Minutes of the Community & Resources Committee meeting held on 6 June 2022 pdf icon PDF 140 KB


It was proposed by Councillor Hicks, seconded by Councillor Hodson and -


Resolved:   That the Minutes of the meeting held on 6 June 2022 be signed as a correct record.


(Vote:  For 6, Abstentions 3)



Matters Arising


Councillor Brenton referred to minute no. 259 and enquired as to whether South West Water had responded to the questions forwarded to them in relation to pollution of the estuary.  The Senior Electoral and Democratic Services Officer said this would be included on the Action List but believed a response had been received.  He will investigate further.


NB – following the meeting it was established that South West Water had responded and the information had been forwarded to Members of the External Overview & Scrutiny Committee and to those also present at the meeting.  This information to be attached to the action list.


Councillor Christie informed Members that he will be putting forward a Notice of Motion regarding South West Water’s response of “no problems” on planning applications for large estates. 



Public Contributions

Public contributions in accordance with the current scheme.  (The deadline for registering to speak is by 2pm Thursday 21 July 2021. To register please email


There were no public contributions.



Forward Plan pdf icon PDF 187 KB


The Forward Plan was noted. 



Declarations of Interest

Members with interests to declare should refer to the Agenda item and describe the nature of their interest when the item is being considered.


Declarations of interest were made when the specific agenda items to which they related were under discussion.


Agreement of Agenda between Parts I and II


There were no Part II items.


Urgent Matters of information to be brought forward with the permission of the Chair and the Committee


There were no urgent matters brought forward.


4/5 Hubbastone Road Property conversion to hostel accommodation pdf icon PDF 221 KB

To receive the report of the Head of Communities & Place




That the proposal for the use of 4/5 Hubbastone Road as hostel accommodation detailed in the report be approved, and the capital spend on the conversion costs and the submission of planning permission for change of use of No 4 from office use to hostel use be authorised.


The purpose of the report, presented by the Head of Communities & Place, was for Members to consider the conversion of the offices at 4/5 Hubbastone Road into hostel accommodation.


The following points were raised during the discussion:


·         Running costs – the Finance Manager explained the figures in the report are estimated and based on hostel costs elsewhere on the Council’s port folio.  Councillor Christie proposed that a report giving details of the costs be brought back to Members in 12 months’ time.  The Head of Communities & Place recommended a report be brought back after 18 months to allow for the time involved in bringing the project to fruition as will take some months for the work to be completed.


·         Planning –the Head of Communities & Place to check with the Planning Department that an application is required or whether it is permitted development.


·         Who will be using the accommodation - the Chief Executive explained  the Authority has a legal requirement to house people under the Homelessness Legislation.  It will be people from within the area, but with various schemes such as homes for Ukrainian people, individuals arriving into the UK, it is likely to result in some being the responsibility of Torridge.   There is no definitive answer to the question.  The Head of Legal agreed to bring to the next meeting an update on the Councils Statutory Duty on who they must provide accommodation for.


It was proposed by Councillor Hicks, seconded by Councillor Christie and -




That the proposal for the use of 4/5 Hubbastone Road as hostel accommodation as detailed in this report be approved and the capital spend on the conversion costs and the submission of planning permission for change of use of No 4 from office use to hostel use be authorised.


(Vote:  For – Unanimous)



Decision taken under Urgency Procedure pdf icon PDF 106 KB

To receive the report of the Head of Legal and the Urgency Decision for

Discretionary Energy Rebate Scheme

Additional documents:


The purpose of presenting this item was for Members to note the urgent decision recently taken under the Council’s Urgency Procedure in relation to the £150 Energy Rebate Discretionary Scheme.


In accordance with the Constitution there is a requirement for decisions to be reported to the next appropriate Community & Resources Committee explaining the reason for the urgency.


The Committee noted this item.


Minutes of Harbour Board pdf icon PDF 232 KB

To receive the minutes of the Harbour Board meeting held 16 June 2022.


Councillor Bushby gave a brief verbal report on minute number 126 – Proposal for coffee van on Fisherman’s Quay.  He gave his support to this proposal and to other business proposals that may come forward.


The Head of Communities & Place reported no resolution was required at this meeting because at Harbour Board it had been agreed the business operates for a trial period of two months.  Consideration would then be given to see if it is an option for future years and if successful, a report would come back to this Committee to establish a more permanent use of that space. 


At the start of the trial of this proposal the Harbour Master had been in discussions with all users of the commercial area, and concerns were raised by the Lundy Company regarding loss of parking spaces, fuelling the Oldenberg etc.   Risk assessments are being carried out.


During the discussion the following items were raised:


·         Fountains – to obtain quotes for repairs to the fountains.   Members were keen for these to be up and working again.  However, it was reported that this project had come forward during a previous round of capital bids and Members had dismissed it due to the cost.


·         Removal of all cars from the Quayside – the Quay is a tourist attraction.


Members noted the Harbour Board minutes for the meeting held on 16 June 2022.