Agenda and draft minutes

Venue: Caddsdown Business Support Centre, Clovelly Road, Bideford - Bideford. View directions

Contact: Democratic Services  Email: dem.services@torridge.gov.uk

Items
No. Item

82.

Apologies For Absence

To receive apologies for absence from the meeting.

Minutes:

Apologies for absence were received from Vice Chair, Cheryl Cottle-Hunkin.

83.

Minutes pdf icon PDF 149 KB

Confirmation of the Minutes of the meeting held on Wednesday 21st July 2021.

Minutes:

The Chair ran through the minutes of the previous meeting page by page with members.

 

It was proposed by Councillor Pennington, seconded by Councillor Harding and

Resolved –

 

That the minutes of the meeting held on 21 July 2021 be agreed and signed as a correct record

 

(Vote: Yes – Unanimous)

84.

Public Participation

15 minute period for public contributions

Minutes:

No requests for public participation were received for the meeting.

 

85.

Action List pdf icon PDF 105 KB

Minutes:

The Chair ran through the action list with members of the Committee and updates were provided on the outstanding actions.

 

Chair confirmed she has been in contact with the Together Service but no relevant funding streams have been identified as yet, so it was requested that the action remain ‘in progress’.

 

The Public Health & Housing Manager confirmed she has chased Toby Davies regarding the joint Community Safety Partnership and is waiting to hear back.   

 

 

86.

Declaration Of Interests

Members with interests should refer to the agenda item and describe the nature of their interest when the item is considered.

 

Minutes:

Members were reminded that declarations of interest should be made as and when the specific agenda item to which they related was under discussion.

 

87.

Agreement Of Agenda Items Part I and II

Minutes:

There were no Part II items on the agenda.

 

88.

Urgent Matters Brought Forward With the Permission Of The Chair

Minutes:

For the benefit of the new committee members and the guest speakers the Committee introduced themselves. Councillor Leather joined the meeting at 14:10

89.

LEESAR Partnership - NDADA and Splitz

An opportunity to hear from LEESAR Partnership about their work in relation to mental health issues

Minutes:

Julie Reeves introduced herself as Manager at Splitz Service, which is the lead partner for the LEESAR partnership, and Heather Penny introduced herself as General Manager at North Devon Against Domestic Abuse (NDADA).  It was explained that Splitz is a voluntary service commissioned through Devon County Council.  NDADA is a charity which covers the North Devon and Torridge area.

 

The Splitz Manager provided members with some background on the formation of the LEESAR partnership in 2019, the membership and their ethos ‘ending domestic and sexual violence abuse in Devon’.  She explained the service provision of the 4 partners and how they work across the region.  It was highlighted that today’s presentation would focus on Splitz and NDADA, though Rape Crisis do cover all of Devon as well.

 

An overview of Splitz provision was provided.  They provide family centered support for men, women and children.  It was explained the person doesn’t have to leave an abusive relationship but safeguarding issues will always be considered.  Support is also provided to perpetrators who want to change their behaviours.

 

Splitz is primarily a crisis led service, they employ experienced staff who all have the Independent Domestic Violence Advisor (IDVA) qualification and are referred to as IDVAs - they work in partnership with many agencies and provide advocacy to those they support.

 

Support is provided over the telephone, one to one (though this has been impacted by Covid) and through group work. Direct support can be provided to victims who are 14 years and over and there are specialist IDVAs for this work. 

 

Cases are determined by risk levels and Splitz work with people who are High and Medium Risk – there is a family approach, so children and young people would be included in the support. All the people referred into the service are risk assessed and the very high-risk cases will be supported through the Multi Agency Risk Assessment Conferences (MARACs), which are held monthly in North Devon. 

 

The Splitz Manager explained their ‘no wrong door’ policy in relation to supporting adults. Referrals are accepted at all the services and people will be put in touch with local services that will meet their need, depending on risk.

 

NDADA are a funded charity and as a result the service is constantly adapting and maintaining funding streams.

 

They are a recovery led service and also run the local refuge provision for women and children. Alongside the refuge there are also smaller self-contained places of safety located across Devon, this means there is accommodation for men and for families with male children over 16 who are not able to access the refuge.

 

Currently NDADA have Court IDVAs to provide support to people through Family Courts, especially those with no access to legal aid. There are 3 Court IDVAs for all of Devon, excluding Plymouth and Torbay. There is a lot of demand for the service, which means the IDVAs must work with those with the most need, and there are capacity issues as a  ...  view the full minutes text for item 89.

90.

Partnership Evaluation

To review the Partnership Evaluation process.

Minutes:

The Chair explained the Partnership Evaluation was added to the agenda in order to review the process now that Phil Topham had resigned as a member of the Committee. 

 

It was agreed that Councillor Newton would take responsibility for reviewing the letter sent to partners before they attend the Committee, and the Chair would review the questionnaire and letter sent to partners following their attendance at a meeting.  It was agreed this would be brought to the next Committee in October for an update.

 

Members requested that the minutes record their thanks to Phil Topham for all his support during his time as a member of the Committee.  It was also requested that a letter of thanks be drafted and sent.  Action for Democratic Services to draft a letter and send this to the Chair. 

 

 

91.

Consideration Of The Forward Plan pdf icon PDF 207 KB

Minutes:

Members reviewed the Forward Plan.

 

There was a discussion in relation to joint meetings with North Devon and some suggestion of possible issues that should be considered.  Members suggested Health and the amalgamation of the Boards should be considered – looking at  the impact on services locally with commissioners and providers at the Trusts. It was agreed that this item would be added to the forward plan for the January Committee as a joint meeting. Chair and Democratic Services to look at who to invite to this.

 

The item ‘Housing Environment / Biosphere / Drainage and Sewage – joint meeting with North Devon Council’ was discussed and members discussed inviting South West Water and the Environment Agency regarding concerns about sewerage systems, surface water drainage and sewage discharging into sea and rivers – specific issues within Westward Ho! and Bucks Mills were highlighted.  It was agreed that this item would be explored if the joint Community Safety Partnership doesn’t take place in October. 

 

Members discussed the Community Safety Partnership, and it was agreed that a pre-meeting would be arranged over Zoom to prepare in advance.

 

 

92.

Exclusion Of The Public

The Chair to move:-

That the public be excluded from the remainder of the meeting because of the likely disclosure of exempt information as defined in Part 1 of Schedule 12A of the Local Government Act 1972.

Minutes:

There were no Part II items, so Chair thanked all for attending and closed the meeting.