Agenda and draft minutes

Venue: Town Hall - Bridge Street, Bideford, EX39 2HS

Contact: Sandra Cawsey - Democratic Services  Email: sandra.cawsey@torridge.gov.uk

Items
No. Item

25.

Apologies for Absence

Minutes:

There were no apologies for absence.  

26.

Minutes pdf icon PDF 144 KB

Confirmation of the Minutes of the Meeting held on 10 October 2019.

Minutes:

It was proposed, seconded and –

 

Resolved: That the minutes of the meeting held on the 10 October 2019 be agreed and signed as a correct record.

 

Vote: (Unanimous  )

 

27.

Action List pdf icon PDF 303 KB

Minutes:

The action list was noted.

 

Minute 17: Speed limits on the river – signage to be reviewed. The Planning and Economy Manager confirmed that no action had yet been taken but will be looked at in the future.

28.

Public Contributions

Minutes:

Following an enquiry from Mr Mark Smith from Bideford Harbour User Group with regard to the increase in Mooring Fees, the Planning and Economy Manager confirmed that any questions from the public will be responded to in writing.

 

29.

Agreement of Agenda Items Parts I and II

Minutes:

There were no Part II items.

30.

Urgent Matters of Information Brought Forward with the Permission of the Chairman and the Committee

Minutes:

The Harbour Master asked that members be reminded of The Port Marine Safety Code Duty Holder Training on 18 February at Brynsworthy Environment Centre.  The Harbour Master will circulate the email again for numbers and will contact North Devon District Council to confirm.

31.

Representative from Bideford Bay Chamber of Commerce pdf icon PDF 45 KB

To consider representation from the Bideford Bay Chamber of Commerce on Harbour Board

Minutes:

Mr John Puddy, a Vice President of Bideford Chamber of Commerce, attended the meeting on behalf of the organisation with the view of a representative of Bideford Chamber of Commerce attending and taking part in all future meetings and decisions for the Harbour Board.

 

Mr Puddy was invited to speak and gave a brief presentation on how the organisation has been re-branded over the last 12 months and their involvement within the local economy.  Following on from this he feels they would be a valued ally to the Authority and would be able to contribute to the Harbour Board and assist in decision making.

 

Councillor Hicks referred to the letter received form Mrs Jane Maynard, the President of Bideford Chamber of Commerce and stated that he thought it was a good idea to have a representative from their organisation on the Harbour Board.

 

Following a query from Councillor Christie on whether the representative from Bideford Chamber of Commerce being able to vote, the Planning and Economy Manager confirmed they would not be able to vote but would be able to part take in discussions. 

 

Councillor Hicks confirmed that everyone was in agreement that a representative from Bideford Chamber of Commerce be invited to all future  Harbour Board meetings.

 

Mr John Puddy confirmed it would be himself representing Bideford Chamber of Commerce at our Harbour Board meetings. 

32.

Financial Summary Quarter 3 - 2019/20 pdf icon PDF 407 KB

To receive the report of the Planning and Economy Manager

Minutes:

The Planning and Economy Manager presented the report which provided Members of the Harbour Board with a financial summary for the period Quarter 3 - 2019/20.

 

An overview of the current financial situation as detailed in Appendix 1 attached to the report was given.  The deficit figure for the Harbour was noted however the Planning and Economy Manager did state that it has been a quiet year so far.

 

A discussion followed and the Harbour Master stated that Sibelco might increase business with the Harbour if Wharfage and Cranage costs were reduced. This was later addressed in item 10, Fees and Charges.

 

The lack of storage on the Harbour was discussed and was agreed the Harbour Board will explore possible storage ideas in the Harbour.  It was suggested that the contract with Evans Transport be re-viewed and that a meeting is arranged with Evans Transport to discuss.

 

The Planning and Economy Manager advised that the next Harbour Board meeting is joint with Port Security and Evans Transport are invited to the Port Security meeting. The Planning and Economy Manager will contact Evans Transport’s representative and invite him to stay and attend the Harbour Board meeting afterwards, to then have an open discussion on how transport effects the viability of the Harbour. 

33.

Harbour and Pilotage Activity Quarter One pdf icon PDF 124 KB

To receive the report of the Planning & Economy Manager

Minutes:

The Harbour Master delivered the report and welcomed any questions.

 

The aim was to provide strategic direction to the Harbour Master.

 

Following an enquiry with regards the Moorings and Facilities Policy being accepted the Planning and Economy Manager confirmed that there was no update.

 

The Harbour Board discussed the Moorings and Facilities Policy and it was agreed that Councillor Christie and Councillor Rossi would attend the meeting with the Crown Estates agent.

 

34.

Review of harbour Fees and Charges pdf icon PDF 107 KB

To receive the report of the Planning and Economy Manager

Additional documents:

Minutes:

This item was introduced by the Harbour Master. The recommendation was to not change the fees and charges and for the report to go to Community and Resources Committee for final ratification.  

 

Following a query with regards to the report having increases on Craneage the Planning and Economy Manager advised this could be due to inflation.

 

A further discussion took place with regards to a possible discretionary discounted agreement with Sibleco to encourage business. The Planning and Economy Manager advised this would have to be agreed by the Head of Paid Service.

 

It was proposed, seconded and –

 

Resolved:

 

That the fees and charges in the report are adopted

 

(Vote:  Unanimous)

 

35.

Any Other Business

Minutes:

There was no other business.