Venue: Barum Room - Brynsworthy. View directions
Apologies for Absence
Apologies were received from Councillor Clarke, Councillor Cottle-Hunkin, Councillor Hackett, Councillor Lofthouse (who sent Councillor L Spear as a substitute), Councillor Tucker (who sent Councillor Wilkinson as a substitute) and Councillor Watson (who sent Councillor Pennington as a substitute).
RESOLVED that the minutes of the meeting held on 27th January 2023 (circulated previously) be approved as a correct record and signed by the Chair.
Declarations of Interest
(Please complete the form provided at the meeting or telephone Corporate and Community Services before the meeting. Interests must be re-declared when the items is called, and Councillors must leave the room if necessary.)
There were no declarations of interest announced.
To consider a report by the Senior Planning Policy Officers (NDC and TDC) (attached).
The Committee considered the report “Scoping a Partial Update of the North Devon and Torridge Local Plan” (circulated previously).
The Senior Planning Policy Officer (TDC) advised the Committee that:
· NDC had agreed, at their February Full Council, to the partial update of the North Devon and Torridge Local Plan 2011 – 2031 (NDTLP), but TDC had, at their January Full Council referred the proposal back to the JPPC requesting full recommendations, which would then be considered at their Full Council meeting in June 2023.
· The Local Elections in May 2023 could change the focus of the two Local Authorities and it would be necessary to keep any approach to updating the local plan under review.
· The Senior Planning Policy Officer (TDC) outlined the context of the report and the timeline for potential influences on the process, from the elections in May 2023 through to the proposed first adoption of new-style Local Plans in April 2027.
The Head of Place, Property and Regeneration (NDC) advised that:
· The topics considered capable of taking forward through a partial update had been identified using a number of sources including engagement with elected members and a technical review of the local plan.
· For each topic, scoping information was provided as part of the agenda which covered potential costs, evidence required, staffing, time-frame and value add among others. Officers provided a recommendation for each topic advising as to whether in their view it should be included within the scope of any partial update to the Local Plan.
The officers provided a summary of the report and covered the identified topics which had been divided into a range of themes. Each topic was covered, and voted on, separately.
The Head of Place, Property and Regeneration (NDC) provided the Committee with the following in relation to Housing:
· The Five Year Housing Land Supply (5YHLS) had been under review by the teams and the value of allocating small sites would be predicated on the outcome of that exercise.
· An additional requirement for First Homes as an aspect of affordable housing delivery was an opportunity beyond the existing requirements at the time the Local Plan was prepared.
· A policy to manage First Homes along with new small-scale site allocations could be considered.
In response to questions from the Committee, the Senior Planning Policy Officer advised that:
· Sites where there was reasonable prospect of build-out within the five years could be included if suitable evidence was provided.
· The Authorities were extremely mindful of viability on sites when considering development proposals, but that developers were permitted to adjust what is offered based on viability. There was a need for robust testing, and that consideration of viability in plan-making had been strengthened with the HELAA panel included a viability expert.
· There were no significant changes proposed within the new NPPF proposals that would affect these topics.
· The availability of sites for possible development within villages and their surrounding areas could be reviewed as part of this exercise.
RESOLVED that the recommendation ... view the full minutes text for item 42.
Dates of Future Meetings
To consider the following dates for future meetings: (each at 10am):
16th June 2023
22nd September 2023
8th December 2023
15th March 2024.
RESOLVED that the proposed dates for future meetings (16th June 2023, 22nd September 2023, 8th December 2023 and 15th March 2024) be agreed.
The meeting ended at 1.10 pm